Tuesday School Preschool
The Mount Vernon Church of Christ hosts the Tuesday School, a free preschool program begun in 1978. The program seeks to help three and four year old children grow intellectually, physically, socially, and spiritually. To reach those goals, the school teaches ABC’s, numbers, Bible stories, and includes playtime and snack time. The Tuesday School program additionally works to help prepare preschool children for a smooth transition to public school.
The program teaches children to:
- Be respectful.
- Listen and follow directions.
- Finish what they start.
- Make right choices.
The free program runs from mid-September through the beginning of May on Tuesday mornings from 10 a.m. to noon. The two-year program covers the following material:
- Bible class - the first year focuses on the Old Testament and selects a number of stories to teach the following lessons:
- God is powerful
- God cares for me
- God wants me to obey
- Family is important
- Numbers class
- Bible class - the second year explores the New Testament, focusing on Jesus to show that:
- Jesus is special
- Jesus is strong enough to help me
- Jesus teaches me important lessons
- ABC’s class
- Fire safety program from the Mt. Vernon Fire Department
- Fall costume party
- Thanksgiving Dinner
- Visit from Santa
- Valentines Program at a local nursing home
- Game and picnic day